Purpose and objective of the Board Partners
The purpose of the Board Partners, Hallituspartnerit in Finnish, (registered association) is to ensure the continuous improvement of the competitive edge of the economic life by enhancing the working methods of the executive boards in local companies.
Our objectives are:
- To emphasize the importance of an effective Board in running a successful business
- Further develop good, professional and ethical working methods of a Board
- Provide the Boards of companies with educated and experienced business professionals
Running a board
The leading challenge for an entrepreneur in a small and medium size company
The main objective for an entrepreneur is to increase the value of the business as effectively as possible. With this in mind, the entrepreneur has to predict the future using only the information that is currently available to him.
Without a Board of experts, the entrepreneur will have to decide upon important strategic moves by himself. Such moves include getting possible new owners in, organizing finance, transferring the business to the next generation or selling the company.
These are some of the questions which will feature in the entrepreneurs mind when deciding upon moves and decisions affecting the future of the company:
- When making decisions, have we received a sufficient amount of information of all possible alternatives and risks involved?
- Can the opinions and suggestions of external experts and consultants be trusted, and do they bear any responsibility in regards to the decision made?
- Is it possible to get sufficient knowhow outside the company in circumstances requiring fast decision making?
- Is there a way to ensure a degree of loyalty and bearing of responsibility when it comes to external experts?
- Would it be worthwhile to get some professionals into the board: Experts who’s experience and knowhow will give better background for leading the company?
The meaning of an effective Board for small and medium sized companies
At its best, the effective Board will be able to provide the following:
- Support the management in strategic decision-making and give guidance in setting targets and strategy for ownership policy.
- Take responsibility in directing the company towards the chosen strategy
- Offer expertise at times of crucial changes, such as with the enlargement of operations, internationalization, changes in ownership, generation change, acquisitions and in making alliances
- There is a safer background for the company when the Board is comprised of individuals with the relevant expertise and know how in different key areas. Thus the company will be better equipped to predict the future changes and the threats associated with these changes and new opportunities as well as limitations.
An efficiently functioning Board is a huge asset to the company and will greatly improve its competitive edge in an increasingly competitive marketplace.
The Board Partners:
- Organizes discussions and trainings together with all the interest groups in business life
- Takes part in public discussions of the board work
- Develops common working methods and regulations in order to improve the board work
- Conducts and further improves research and publication activities in the area
- Provides expertise to the board: professionals whose business background ensures best decision making for company owners. For this purpose Board Partner are updating records of managers who have a versatile experience and who are willing to get involved in boards.
The Board Partners offer extensive experience, insight, and know-how. Our members are comprised of experienced managers who operate as independent experts.
HHJ –training (approved member of the board)
The Board Partners and the local Chamber of Commerce together offer the Board members of small and medium sized companies an HHJ-training course.
The entrepreneur, the management, owners and the investors need the help of experts from different fields in order to launch new products, grow, renew the business and expand the marketplace without loosing the touch of making profit. Furthermore, many of the occurring changes, such as the transition from one generation to another, changes in ownership, internationalization, fast growth and radical market changes are much more easily dealt with when a company possesses the necessary diversity of expertise.
Through an active and efficient Board, a company can best ensure the relevant external resources to support the work of the management and the entrepreneur.
The HHJ-training will provide the owner of the company with a better knowledge base when it comes to choosing external, independent members for the Board. In addition to their experience and special expertise, these professionals have shown to be able to manage small and medium sized companies according to today’s requirements. Emphasis is put on various case studies about different small and medium size companies, about their management and about their importance in the success of business. Furthermore, the participants will resolve questions related to real questions associated with small and medium size companies as group work.
The central theme in HHJ-training is the role of the Board in supporting the entrepreneurs of small and medium size companies in their strategic decision-making.
The training program entails getting acquainted with the relevant literature and four afternoons of relevant training on a specific area. These are:
- Corporate governance
- Organizing the board and the board work
- Finance of the company
For those who have passed the HHJ-training, there is yearly a possibility to take part in to the HHJ-examination.
Do not hesitate to contact us, we would be more than happy to provide you with more information regarding our operations and our possibilities in helping advance your business. Click the box "Yhteystiedot" and you will find the cities we are situated and the www-addresses as well.